Fritz Klimsch, who came from a family of painters, studied painting and sculpture at the Berlin Academy. He received the Grand State Prize for sculpture in 1894. In Paris, sculptures by Rodin greatly impressed him. Klimsch was a modernist and co-founder of the Berlin Secession. He received public commissions and was called to teach at the Academic High School of Fine Arts in Berlin-Charlottenburg. His later more classicist style attracted the attention of the National Socialists, who commissioned him to create monumental sculptures and portrait busts, but he never became a party member. His monument for Rudolf Virchow stands in front of the Charité in Berlin.
before 1924 / presumably posthumous cast
32 x 22 x 31 cm / 12 1/2 x 8 5/8 x 12 1/4 in.
with monogram under the left foot, with foundry stamp 'H. NOACK BERLIN'