oil on canvas
67 x 79,3 cm / 26 3/8 x 31 1/4 in.
signed and dated lower right
During his studies of architecture, Heckel had met Ernst Ludwig Kirchner in Dresden. In 1905 they founded the artist group „Brücke“ (Bridge) together with Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Fritz Bleyl. The aim of the young artists was to catch the pristine aspect of nature. During the summer months 1907 and 1908, Heckel travelled to Dangast on the North Seat o paint with Schmidt-Rottluff. The summers of 1909 and 1910 were spent with Kirchner and Pechstein on the Moritzburger Lakes, where they also took models. The young artists were great admirers of Vincent van Gogh and of the colourful works of the Fauves and adopted the brushstrokes of the one and the colouring of the others. Heckel had been in Italy the year before and had brought the light of the Mediterranean landscape into his paintings. In the present painting, there is no human figure in sight, only the man-made street and bridge are indications that this is not an untouched wilderness. The motif is probably the bridge over the river Prießnitz near the Klotzsche waterfall in the Dresden Heide (heath), which has for a long time been a popular destination of the Dresden populace. Provenance available
Price on request